Hospitalist Procedures is a two-day course.
Course Schedule: Agenda
Faculty: Stuart Forman, MD, FAAFP
OR K. Ashok Kumar, MD
2017 Course Discounts
Early Bird Discount in Austin: Register by July 11th and enter code EBAUG
to save $100
Book two courses in Austin and save $200 - enter code ATX2
Early Bird Discount in Houston: Register by November 7th and enter code EBDEC
to save $100
Book two courses in Houston and save $200 - enter code HTX2
Earn up to 16 AMA PRA Category 1 credits™ and AAFP Prescribed Credits
2017 Course Location Information
August 10-11 - Austin
The Westin Austin at The Domain
- Online Reservations
11301 Domain Drive
Austin, Texas 787581
Reservations: 866-716-8108December 9-10 - HoustonJW Marriott Houston
- Online Reservations
5150 Westheimer Road
Houston, Texas 77056
Hospitalist Procedures Course Description
In the last fifteen years, hospitalists have become much more prevalent in the care of inpatients and a hospitalist must be familar with a number of skills and procedures. Often, new hospitalists have a background in outpatient practices and they may not be as comfortable performing procedures. This course is an excellent refresher course for experienced physicians, residents, and other healthcare providers alike. In a group setting, individuals will learn about the techniques of various procedures, including the use of an ultrasound. In addition to the hands-on practice and lectures, the participants will be given examples of tools and order sets, and key articles will be provided for reference.
The following procedures will be taught using a combination of lecture, video, and hands-on practice with manikins and models. The participants will also get ample time to practice with an ultrasound on models and on each other. Discussion and use of the ultrasound in the procedures is designated with an asterisk (*). Models and ultrasounds will be available for use to practice throughout both days of the course.
- Procedural sedation
- Procedural consent and universal precautions
- Lumbar puncture *
- Central line placement via subclavian, internal jugular *, and femoral approaches *
- Familiarity with a Cordis, dialysis and triple lumen catheter
- EZ/IO intraosseous lines
- Paracentesis *
- Thoracentesis *
- Thoracostomy tube placement
- Ultrasound diagnosis of pneumothorax*
- Thoracic vent placement
- Basic airway management
- Intubations and adjunct airways
- Basics of surgical and advanced airways including cricothyrotomy and fiberoptic intubation
- Arterial line placement by radial, brachial and femoral approaches *
- Ventilator management and protocols including lung protective protocols
- Noninvasive ventilation management with high flow nasal oxygen therapy
- Noninvasive ventilation with CPAP and BiPAP
- Basics of hemodynamic support in shock states
- Coding of procedures
By the end of this activity, the participant should be better able to:
2017 Course Accreditation
- Discuss indications, contraindications, and technique of procedures commonly performed by hospitalists.
- Gain experience with the use of an ultrasound machine in hospitalist procedures.
- Learn pre-procedure evaluation and post-procedure management, including the Joint Commission mandates for Universal Protocol.
- Discuss prevention and management of complications of hospitalist procedures.
The Texas Academy of Family Physicians designates this live activity for a maximum of 16 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits ™.
Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This Live activity, Hospitalist Procedures, from 01/01/2017 - 12/31/2017, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 16.00 Prescribed credit(s) by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Learn more about our Accreditation