Earn up to 15
AMA PRA Category 1 credits™
Basic Suturing Course Description
Every practitioner in the outpatient setting routinely addresses issues
related to wound care or wound closure, including the challenges posed
by traumatic wounds. Many physicians care for an array of skin problems
and perform skin biopsies or excisions with the goal of improved
cosmoses, diagnosis, or cure. This suturing CME medical conference is designed
for practitioners who have minimal suturing skills, but is also a great
course to upgrade skills for those who need more experience.
Whether traumatic or iatrogenic, the goals in caring for wounds are
to obtain complete closure while minimizing complications, such as
infection or unsightly scarring.
In this suture techniques training, participants will gain insight into
the anatomy of the skin, principles of healing, and basic wound care.
Basic biopsy and excision techniques, suturing methods, undermining,
skin stapling, and the application of adhesives will be demonstrated and
An abundance of hands-on time is scheduled to refine suturing techniques and skills with the use of pig’s feet.
For photos and more information on past Basic Suturing courses, visit our Basic Suturing photo album by signing in on Facebook!
Consider registering for the Advanced Suturing Course as a compliment to this course.
By the end of this suturing class workshop, participants should be better able to:
- Review the anatomy of the skin and understand the physiology of wound healing.
- Discuss key elements of the patient history, informed consent and wound care instructions.
- Describe indications for skin biopsy and develop skills to perform both punch and excisional biopsy.
- Recognize the need for undermining and apply appropriate technique.
- Become familiar with local anesthesia and techniques to minimize patient discomfort.
- Develop an array of suturing and knot tying skills.
- Recognize and manage complications.
- Become familiar with concepts for maximizing accuracy and efficiency in billing.
2015 Course Accreditation
This Live activity, Basic Suturing, from 01/01/2015 - 12/31/2015, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 15.00 Prescribed credit(s) by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Learn more about our Accreditation