View schedule online: Agenda
Basic Suturing is a two-day course.
Faculty: Gerald A. Amundsen II, MD
Earn up to 15 AMA PRA Category 1 credits™ and AAFP Prescribed Credits
Basic Suturing Course Description
Every clinician in the outpatient setting routinely addresses issues related to wound care or wound closure, including the challenges posed by traumatic wounds. Many physicians care for an array of skin problems and perform skin biopsies or excisions with the goal of improved cosmoses, diagnosis, or cure. This CME course is designed for clinicians who have minimal suturing skills, but is also a great course to upgrade skills for those who need more experience. Whether traumatic or iatrogenic, the goals in caring for wounds are to obtain complete closure while minimizing complications, such as infection or unsightly scarring.
During this course, participants will gain insight into the anatomy of the skin, principles of healing, and basic wound care. Basic biopsy and excision techniques, suturing methods, undermining, skin stapling, and the application of adhesives will be demonstrated and practiced. An abundance of hands-on time is scheduled to refine suturing skills.
By the end of this activity, the participant should be better able to:
2018 Course Accreditation
- Review the anatomy of the skin and discuss the physiology of wound healing.
- Discuss key elements of the patient history, informed consent, and wound care instructions.
- Describe indications for skin biopsy and develop skills to perform both punch and excisional biopsy.
- Recognize the need for undermining and apply appropriate technique.
- Utilize local anesthesia and techniques to minimize patient discomfort.
- Develop an array of suturing and knot tying skills.
- Recognize and manage complications.
- Implement concepts for maximizing accuracy and efficiency in billing.
The Texas Academy of Family Physicians designates this live activity for a maximum of 15 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits ™
Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This Live activity, Basic Suturing, from 01/01/2018 - 12/31/2018, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 15.00 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Learn more about our Accreditation